Thursday, April 14, 2011

The Test Begins

Today I ran some tests on the dyed fabric. First I cut it into smaller pieces. One sample went outside in the sun, I will put it out again each day to see how much it fades.
The poly/cotton blend is pretty robust stuff. I took another swatch and decided I would subject it to the toughest test, sandpaper. I rubbed some sand paper on it and as you can see in my poor Mac photos, the colour came off. What does this tell me? Well, the color can be rubbed of, not by hand at least, but by a rough surface, so, don't sit on the pavement in it. I hope no one does!

The next test was the "Hot" cycle, with soap in the laundry machine. I ran it with a white shirt. As you can see, the color did not run, at all. in comparison with the control swatches it is the same color. The white shirt did not absorb any color either.

What did I learn? A good dye job indeed! (?) You should not be putting your suit in the washing machine in the first place. I don't know about dry cleaning, but at least water does not seem to affect it. I think I will let this sample soak in some boiling water over night, see what happens.

The fabric did become a little bit softer. Not too noticeable.

That's all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment